Thursday 8 May 2014

A bad week for boats!


The week started well with a spider heavy Monday! After finishing a bit of fencing that’s been lingering on my ‘to do’ list for weeks I found an excuse to have a nosey under the emergency well cover and found a lovely little Tegenaria domestica (The kind you find in your bath in autumn!) Back at the farmhouse there were several parcels waiting for me and inside one of them was a very special collection of gifts. As well as a few books on taxidermy and some dangerous looking medical implements there was a copy of the Michael Robert’s ‘The spiders of Great Britain and Ireland’. I felt a bit choked up!

 
The plates are beautiful and the information on the smaller arachnids, the ‘money spiders’, will prove invaluable. I’m really looking forward to finishing my current OU course and being able to spend a bit more of my spare time searching for the known Ramsey Island species… and hopefully discovering a few new additions. To continue with the spidering theme I spent the few hours after work IDing and cataloguing my April specimens so they don’t get too backlogged. I’m sending a lot of the specimens off to an arachnological friend of mine to be verified but as far as I know in April I found the following species (in no particular order)…Amaurobius ferox and similis, Gongylidiellum vivum, Trochosa terricola, Pholcus phalangioides, Xysticus cristatus, Pachygnatha degeeri, Alopecosa pulverulenta, Gonatium Rubens, Textrix denticulate, Segestria senoculata, Theridion spp?, Heliophanus cupreus, Drassodes pubescens, Harpactea hombergii, Euophrys frontalis, Robertus lividus and Micaria pulicaria. If you’re not interested in spiders than I’m sure that list means nothing. But in the evening I ordered a USB microscope so that I can take pictures of the things I find and put a face to the name, so to speak!
Aside from spiders I did also spend a few hours in the day with Greg listening to the recordings made of Manx shearwaters and creating tracks of males calling, females calling and male and female birds dueting together. The best of these will be used for the RSPB conservation science project which is essentially investigating call back rates.  
 
Greg put one of the recordings on soundcloud, the link to which can be found below...
 
Tuesday started a string of ‘NO BOAT’ days. The weather forecast suggested as much and as a result Greg, Lisa and myself hot-footed it off the island to do a bit of emergency shopping! This was all facilitated by Derek the mainland farmer (among many other things) who ferried us in his robust aluminium boat.

 
But an opportunity to enjoy mainland treats was not wasted and we nipped into the sound café for a cooked breakfast.
 
 
Back on the island I sorted my mammal traps and found evidence of harmless bank vole activity on two of them. Greg has been trying out his new Reconyx trail camera and managed to get some great shots of a vole making successive peanut butter trips.
 
(picture courtesy of Greg Morgan)
The weather had started to turn just as we neared the island but it still wasn’t awful so I took the opportunity to sit on the cliffs and try to get a handle on what one of our breeding pairs of Peregrines is up to. I didn’t have a lot of luck as far as peregrines were concerned…I did see them but couldn’t figure out where their nest site is this year. Not entirely sure they’ve decided yet! I did however see a male blackcap and a chiffchaff for my efforts!
Every year one of the Ramsey volunteers, Steve cooks a ‘warden’s dinner’ and invites Greg and Lisa up to the bungalow for a several course meal and lots of wine. It’s always a gluttonous evening and it’s often handy when the boats aren’t running the day after to give everyone a few extra hours of morning recovery time.
 
(Photo courtesy of Greg Morgan. The ‘warden’s dinner’…and raising a glass to Morgan of the Gower Ranger for getting his skipper’s ticket.)
 
No boats again on Wednesday giving us some of that much valued and somewhat needed recovery time! The volunteers had a day off and I had a slow morning. I tried to check for the peregrines again but although it was relatively sheltered from my bungalow look out it was insanely windy where I needed to do my watch. I abandoned those plans pretty quickly and headed to the east of the island to try and pick up a few incidental records of birds singing or exhibiting breeding behaviour for the records. There was nothing much apart from two singing wrens and a whitethroat singing somewhere I hadn’t picked one up before. Lisa and I spent the afternoon talking through guided walk ideas and checking our facts. The first guided walk of the season was planned for Thursday but with the state of the weather it was a no go. Further information on when our guided walks are can be found at…
 
…they are completely weather and numbers dependant.
 
Thursday provided us with another day of no boats and therefore no visitors which meant that we could get on with some untidy, none visitor friendly jobs. The shop was gutted and given a fresh lick of paint which will have its second coat tomorrow. Me and Pete moved some more metal waste from outdoors and into our new storage area and later Steve and Pete spent some time in one of Ramsey’s small ponds, fixing a dam and clearing the drainage pipe. One of which had become clogged with a plastic bag. They enjoyed themselves far too much!
 
Once the volunteers had headed back to the bungalow I settled into the office to write a few e-mails and do a few spidery things. I identified my first harvestman, Nemastoma bimaculatum I think and did a little personal research on webs. Just as I was thinking about leaving Greg fetched me to look at a female subalpine warbler that Lisa had spotted in their garden. It’s the first one I’ve ever seen and I don’t think I’d have known what it was if I’d seen it first. I’ll remember it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment